Thomas More College is a four-year Catholic liberal arts college that combines intensive reading of the Great Books with lectures and seminar discussions placing those works in their historical, cultural, and theological context. Students are trained to see in the many facets of Beauty the single face of Truth. The College welcomes students of all faiths.
Religious Affiliation: Roman Catholic
Founded: Thomas More College was founded in 1978 by Catholic laymen.
Campus: Thomas More College is housed on a 14-acre campus in Merrimack, NH on the original lot of the “Brenton Grant,” which is a piece of land given to William Brenton by the Massachusetts Court in 1658. The campus is 45 minutes north of Boston and one hour from the Atlantic Seacoast and the White Mountains.
Academic Program: Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts. Our Program includes tutorial classes that are tailored to student interests, a semester in Rome and an optional Oxford Program.
Student Ratio: 48% women, 52% men
Student Body Size: 96
Freshman Retention Rate: 81% (compared to 71% nationally)
Graduation Rate: 65% (compared to 52% nationally)
Average class size: 18
Alumni: Over 60% of alumni continue on to professional or graduate school – a percentage comparable to that at Ivy League schools.
Graduate Schools: Over 80 Graduate Programs and 30 Schools of Law have accepted our graduates for admission.
Chapel: Thomas More College is faithful to the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church. Mass and Confession are offered daily. The Rosary and the Divine Office are recited daily.
Faculty: Student/Teacher ratio is 10:1.
Rome Campus: 100% of Thomas More College students study in Rome for one semester. Students reside in an historic villa with the Maronite monks of Saint Anthony Monastery–just 5 miles from the Vatican.
Geographic Breakdown: Students come from 30 US States and 3 Foreign Countries
Northeast and Mid-Atlantic: 47%
Students Living on Campus: 95%
Freshmen Average GPA: 3.6
Freshmen SAT Midranges: V: 610-680, M: 520-600
Tuition Cost: $19,200
Room and Board: $9,400
Statistics: After four years at Thomas More College, the average student has…
- Translated over 1,000 lines of Homer, Cicero, or other Classical authors.
- Read 10,000 pages of the Great Books.
- Traveled over 8,400 miles to and from Rome, Italy.
- Visited over 100 baroque churches, Roman architectural sites, Renaissance piazzas, and catacombs.
- Written a Senior Thesis and presented it to the entire college.
- Attended 40 academic guest lectures, classical music recitals, and Oxford-style debates.
- Designed a personal series of tutorials to test academic interests and talents.
- Defended a controversial proposition in the Junior project and oral examination.
- Had the opportunity to attend 840 daily Masses on campus (Confession is available before Mass).
Studying science through the birds and woods of New Hampshire.
Learning to chant the Divine Office.
Writing sonnets and writing icons.
Living in the heart of Rome and touring the Vatican.
Learning fine woodworking, naturalistic drawing, and music through our unique Medieval Guild Program.