Step-by-Step Financial Aid
Step 1. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete your FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. (Note: You will need to electronically sign the FAFSA with your four-digit PIN number. You may use your PIN number from a previous award year or you may obtain a new PIN number at www.pin.ed.gov.)
- For dependent applicants at least one parent must electronically sign the FAFSA with their own four-digit PIN number, either from a previous award year or a new number obtained from the web address noted above.
- The school code number for Thomas More College of Liberal Arts is: 030431.
Step 2. Verification
- If your FAFSA was selected by the U.S. Department of Education for verification, TMC will forward to you (the applicant), a written request for additional documentation.
- Required documents will include signed copies of parent and/or student tax returns. TMC will also provide to you a Verification Worksheet and a Verification Supplement Form (for untaxed income).
- All documents must be completed, signed and returned directly to the TMC Financial Aid Office.
Step 3. The Award Summary
- If you were not selected for verification or have completed the verification process and you have been admitted for the next term or are a current or returning student, the TMC Financial Aid Office will complete its analysis and send to you (the applicant/ student) an Award Summary.
- The summary provides details of the financial aid programs and the amount of funds being offered to you from each program.
- Incoming (New) students are awarded on a rolling basis as their financial aid application becomes complete.
- Returning students are awarded after their financial aid application is complete and their grades for the previous spring semester have been posted by the Registrar’s Office.
- If you wish to decline any particular program you may draw a line through it and the amount offered to you.
- If you wish to accept a lower amount, you must cross out the annual amount and write in the lower figure. The annual amount is disbursed in equal payments for each semester.
- In order to accept and receive the funds, you must sign and return one copy of the Award Summary to the TMC Financial Aid Office.
- If you (the applicant) do not sign and return the Award Summary within 30 days, the funds offered to you may be rescinded and distributed to other qualified applicants.
- The College cannot credit or otherwise disburse assistance to your student account without a signed copy of your Award Summary on file.
Step 4. The Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- Applicants/students who have been awarded and have accepted a Federal Direct Loan must complete a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note at www.studentloans.gov. (Note: You will need to electronically sign the MPN with your four-digit PIN number. You may use your PIN number from a previous award year or you may obtain a new PIN number at www.pin.ed.gov.)
Step 5. Student Loan Entrance Counseling
- All new student borrowers must complete the student loan entrance counseling process either through the process provided on the www.studentloans.gov website or through the Mapping-Your-Future website.