Thomas More College Students March for Life

by Thomas More College on January 22, 2010

Nearly half of Thomas More College’s student body made the 10 hour drive south to Washington, DC for the 2010 March for Life.   Students joined with tens of thousands of others from across the country at both the March and rally to raise awareness of the Life issue.

Thomas More College encouraged its students to promote the sanctity of human life today by allowing them to take time out from their rigorous academic schedules. “As you can imagine, I am proud of our students,” said Thomas More College President Dr. William Fahey. ”This is a tremendous act of bearing witness to the culture of life.  To take part in the march in Washington means a tough drive down the East Coast through winter weather.   Could there be a better illustration of a College’s commitment to defend the sanctity of life than the actions of its youth?  They have given up their weekend and will spend two days on the road.  How can you not be moved and filled with hope that students like this will build up a new culture within our country?”

Many Thomas More College students had been to the March for Life before, while this was the first time for others.  “I have never had the opportunity to attend the March for Life, and I came because I wanted to stand in solidarity with others who are committed to the pro-life cause,” said Thomas More College senior and residential proctor Jesse Brandow.

Marielle Gage, a Thomas More College freshman, said “It is easy to sit and do nothing, but we have to be witnesses to the world.  It is important for all of us to get together like this and stand up for life.”

“It means a lot to me that my first major event as the College’s new Director of Student Life was bringing students down to Washington, DC to promote the sanctity of human life,” said recently hired Annie Clark.  “I could not be more enthusiastic about working for a committed Catholic college.”

Thomas More College freshman Michael Bryan, said, “I am very thankful to Thomas More College and, in particular, to Annie Clark for handling the logistics that made it possible for my classmates and me to be here.”

Thomas More College regularly encourages pro-life activities among its students, including internships at the D.C.-based Culture of Life Foundation, where beginning in 2008, TMC students conducted research with leading Catholic bioethicist Dr. William May on the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death.

As part of the national initiative 40 Days for Life last year, each Saturday Thomas More College students made their way to abortion sites in nearby Manchester, NH, to pray and witness outside the clinics.

Thomas More College students also plan to take part in Boston’s Assembly for Life on Sunday, January 24.

Previous post:

Next post: