St. Pacifico of San Severino

by Thomas More College on September 24, 2010

Homily
September 24, 2010
Luke 9: 18 – 22

Throughout the four Gospels, Jesus will, on the one hand, reveal Himself plainly as the Messiah and, on the other hand, will veil His true identity.  This situation may seem confusing but Christ has His reasons.  To those who believe, to those who have faith in Him, Jesus draws aside this veil and shows Himself as the Messiah.

This is the context of today’s Gospel passage from Saint Luke.  Jesus wants to know where the Twelve stand in regard to His true identity and so He asks them the all important question: “But who do you say that I am?”  Peter answers for His confreres: “You are the Christ of God!”

The text of the Gospel reads that Jesus “rebukes them,” but in this context, it should read: “Jesus cautions them.”  He does not want everyone to know His true identity at this time.  Christ then introduces His teaching on the doctrine of the cross, a necessary component in the life of the Messiah and each one of His followers.

Using the method of Lectio Divina, we should always read Sacred Scripture as being addressed to each one of us personally.  And so this morning, each must ask himself: Do I believe Jesus is God?  Do I believe He is the Messiah?  Have I undergone an interior change because of my belief in Christ?  Do I put Him first in my life?  Do I pray every day, assist at Sunday Mass regularly and daily Mass when possible?  Do I receive the Sacraments of Penance and the Holy Eucharist regularly?

At Mass today, let us pray we will always respond as Saint Peter did and say with Him: “Lord, you are the Christ, the Son of the Living God!”

Amen.

Previous post:

Next post: